Friday, April 25, 2014

Ward, Smith, Finke Summary


Darrin Gailey
Digital Creativity
Chen, 3.1

Ward, Smith, and Finke- Creative Cognition
Summary:
This article is about creative cognition and how that it is a part of normal brain function in people. There are two goals within creative cognition:  advancing the understanding of creativity and to extending the scientific understanding of cognition.
Main Points:
-Creative Cognition:  This states that all people have the ability and capacity to have creative potential.
-Geneplore model:  Part of a Heuristic model and believes creativity comes from questioning and exploring to discover an idea.
-Exploratory Processes:  The idea of questioning ideas and the search for various practical limitations.
-Preventive Structures:  The final idea that leads to an externalized product of creative acts.
Example:
The authors give an example on page 196-197. In this case study; a 5yr old and 10yr old were asked to draw animals that did not exist. This study shows that the younger you are, the less likely that you’ll cross-conceptual boundaries. This example is useful because it supports the author’s ideas about concepts
Response:
I found this article to be slightly difficult to follow at times. And, sometimes I feel as though certain issues could have been expanded upon. However, saying that, what I understood was fascinating. Overall, while it was filled with useful information, I would have preferred that the author made it a little easier to connect dots without having to re-read the article over and over again.

No comments:

Post a Comment