Friday, April 25, 2014

Glaveanu Summary


Darrin Gailey
Digital Creativity
1/16/14
Prof. Chen

Glaveanu, “Paradigms in the study of creativity: Introducing the perspective of cultural psychology”

1.The world is in a constant state of evolution, and as it changes so do the views of the creativity. Three stages exist within the study of creativity The He­Paradigm developed around the idea of a single ‘genius.’ This ‘genius’ was overflowing with creativity. The I­paradigm states that all individuals possess creativity. The We­paradigm, is when creativity flows through group interaction and cooperation. It is, however, hampered by external motivation.

2.         -He-paradigm: This stage is of the creator as being genius. Creativity, according to this theory, is also inherited, and is traditionally thought of to be a male trait. The creator is gifted, and few are chosen.

-I-paradigm: The genius is replaced with a “common” or “normal” person, but there is still a focus on the individual. Theory that creativity is in every person and it is through practice that a person can better their skills.
-We-paradigm: This paradigm sought to put the social back into theories of creativity in a universal and regular fashion. Creativity comes to fruition in social settings, allowing for collaboration and the sharing of ideas. The major fault of this theory, though, is the idea of external motivation.
-Cultural psychology of creativity: T a study of how cultural traditions and social practices regulate and transform the human mind.
3.--

4. Glaveanu does a great job of connecting creativity and social interaction by referencing the work of Winnicott. Glaveanu gives several example, but the example of the He-paradigm on page 80is the most interesting. The ‘being’ influenced by God and originating in Ancient Greek and Roman culture. I was able to connect my knowledge in art history to the paradigms, especially the He-paradigm. Another interesting aspect was that as artists are inspired by their society, using symbols to relay messages is a great way for contexts to be construed.

5. I agree with the author’s viewpoint. We are humans, we draw from what we know. The This then helps with understanding and confirming creativity. I find it interesting the change in paradigms. I do agree though with the individual stance. Creativity is defined by everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment