Friday, February 14, 2014

Photoshop Project!


Artist Statement:  Photoshop Project

When I was first asked to think of a “place” with meaning I immediately thought of my barn. This place is filled with memories—the good, the bad, and the all right. The memories that this place brings to me involve my mother.  The barn was her safe haven and the horses within were like her “other” children. She filled this place with her love, her very essence. I go there to experience what I can no longer experience being in her presence. I go there to remember.

The concept for post card number one falls under repetition and an idea of an idealized landscape relating to memory. The perfect landscape to me holds aspects of my mom, the things I love—my barn and my horses. We gain new memories from different experiences. We can even gain new memories from established memories. Like when we tell stories over and over again, memories change. They take on new meanings.

The concept for postcard number two falls under transformation and memory. I feel as though memory is what we make it. It is still affected by our lives and what we experience. It changes as we change. There’s a spectrum in there somewhere—from the bad all the way to the good! I think memories are sort of like a rainbow. We move from one shade to another—they are all connected. We can’t have the good without the bad, or the happy without the sad. All we can do is look back on them and be content that they happened. Without those memories, who would we be?

For the final postcard, the concept falls under the idea of reminiscing. Memory is never really lost to us as long as we remember it! I’d like to think that this idea is central to a lot of people in the world, not just myself. Memories are what make us. Thinking of our memories is so important. They can build us up or tear us down. I lost my mother way to soon and I could have let myself be overwhelmed and shut down, but instead I remember. I remember so that I don’t forget.


Postcard #1

Postcard #2

Postcard #3
Thank you for taking a look at only my second attempt at using photoshop! Any questions, comments, or concerns are greatly appreciated! 
Thanks a bunch! :)

12 comments:

  1. I enjoy the rainbow horse immensely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The colors you chose for memory were mainly cool. Even rainbow horse is dominated with cool colors. Cool memories. I was wondering if they feel cool instead of warm?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The use of a desaturated background is a good way to allude to the concept of a memory, especially with the first image. The actual technical application of the spectrum effect on the horse is especially nicely done on the second image; applying masks to more organic shapes, especially ones with fur, can be difficult but I think you did a nice job. My one area of criticism is in your third image; the quote is great, and I have no problem with the placement of it relevant to the horse, but I feel the actual type could have been implemented more subtly. Overall I think your concept of memory was well implemented.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like the way you depicted your ideas of memories. Memory can be a hard thing to talk about and visualize, and you tackled this problem in a successful way. The way you talked about your concepts really fit with the images that I saw.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel that the problem statement is not clearly stated. if you would have said something like how do i remember? and then went through the process of relating each image you made to yourself which you did very well. this hole project would have been clearer in my mind. Over all the third postcard is the best from a tech stand point. the main problem with the other two is the mask you use to recolor didn't effect all the horses. Everything else in this project was very well done.

    ReplyDelete
  6. - The composition of image 1 is beautiful, with the repetition of the horses. I focus on their heads/faces and the circular shape that creates. - In all your images, the horses are looking "on," rather than confronting the viewer, as if they are reflecting on the same ideas you are.
    - The choice to show the place in black and white and the horses in color is a very effective way to evoke meaning in terms of memory and your ideas about the place and its history.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the first and second photos; it was a very creative way of using colors to provoke feelings. Also, until you said it I was unaware that the first image was three images of the same horse, so that was really good work! It was very strong conceptually and I admire that!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great job, you have a strong concept. You convey it well. However there is a typo on the third image

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really like the concept behind these postcards. Memories, especially of a loved one, are powerful things. I think that my favorite out of all of these would be the rainbow horse. The idea of memories building on top of one another really connects to that image. Overall, I think that all of your postcards were pretty successful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello!

    I enjoy how your concept is very personal and how you used your closeness to the subject in order to create images that are meaningful. I would like to see a variation in the pictures next time!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Interesting problem, exploring memories, much of your work focused on the color of the horses, but color is linked to emotion, so I can see how that works, but I would have liked to have seen one more technique that explored memory with your horses, though this was a difficult topic to work with. Your rainbow horse looks great, the snow looks "clean". I thought that for tackling a difficult, abstract concept, you did a great job. I know this was hard for you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The last picture of the horse really does a good job as a closing image. Like the "fin" at the end of the credits.

    ReplyDelete