Cat Soup animated short film directed by Tatsuo Sato
Artmaking
strategies: Element of surprise, symbols, cartoon style.
• What is this
animation about? (big idea, or theme or narrative story)
This animated story follows Nyatta, a kitten
with human like qualities, on his travel to the land of the afterlife and back
in an effort to save the soul of his sister Nyako. At some point in the film
both siblings die and are brought back. However, initially Nyako only has part
of her soul.
I think the main theme is about life after
death and how we deal with that within our lives!
• What are the main
characters?
The main characters are two anthropomorphic
kittens named Nyatta and Nyako. They are brother and sister.
• What is the
style?
This short film is animated in a Japanese
style and is very, very whimsical! I won’t lie, at times I was very confused!
• What art making
strategies (conceptual/ technical/ visual) does the artist use to
illustrate his story? Please give an example and assess the effectiveness
of the example.
I think that the use of the music in
conjuncture with certain parts of the story were very effective! I also liked
the “conceptual-ness” of the ending. What’s going on? Will the story continue?
Is it over? You’re left with questions and I think that was a really smart move
on Sato’s part.
• How might Sato's
animation help create your animation?
I particularly liked the music used in
conjuncture with the visual aspects of the short film. The ways in which it
used the music to help influence the vibe and feeling of the story was really
impressive!
This is a cute story, and I think the only thing that could have made it better is if you had had little "jabber" sounds for when the characters talk. Not necessarily having voiceovers, per say, but having more of an indication that they were talking. I didn't see the mud puddle at first and if I did not have the story explained to me several times I may not have picked up on all of the nuances of the story. Very cute and cleanly animated.
ReplyDelete